Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer Odyssey 2012 - Newport Beach, California

The beach is one of my very favorite places in the whole world.  It doesn't really matter which beach - windy and misty Washington and Oregon beaches, sunny southern California beaches, white-sand Cancun beaches...heck, even Lake Michigan in Chicago thrills me; I hope to grow old in a beach house somewhere - anywhere.  And living in land-locked North Dakota, I really miss the ocean.  My parents would load up our six kids in the van at least once every summer and drive out to the Washington coast for the day.  We would drive right out onto the beach and spend the day building sand castles, jumping the waves, and collecting sea shells.  My favorite moment was always when I ran over the dunes for the first time, hearing the pounding of the surf before I could see it, and then watch the sea come into view, spread out before me to what seemed like the end of the world.

On this trip we had driven 2, 649 miles to visit family and take the kids to Disneyland, and we would drive 2, 259 more to get back home via family and friends.  We were TWENTY miles from the beach and I insisted that I at least dip my toes in the water before we headed north again.  And being the good (and wise) husband that he is, Rob agreed, even though he was anxious to get on the road and beat the Friday traffic through Las Vegas.  It took an hour to drive that 20 miles because of traffic, and then we couldn't find a great parking space.  So I took the kids down to the water while Rob parked.  Despite it all, I was in heaven - who would imagine that being chased by the waves could entertain for hours?  The kids ran and jumped and screamed and chased - it was perfect.  The weather was beautiful and it wasn't too crowded, with surfers to watch and room to run and play.  I spent the whole time wondering if I could talk my family into being beach bums...they had so much fun it just might work....


We have always said that Jake was our little Surfer Kid...he looks the part, no?
After getting tumbled a few times in the waves, Alex wouldn't let go of my hand.