Thursday, August 12, 2010

Maple Lake

I know I've posted about Maple Lake in years past, but it's one of my favorite nearby spots to spend a summer day. If I squint just right I can almost pretend I'm at Chism beach on Lake Washington, with Mt. Rainer to the south and sailboats bobbing towards Mercer Island just ahead. Okay, that's a stretch, but it does remind me just a teeny bit of the lakeside parks back home and the kids and I try to make it out there every few weeks in the summer.

This year the water level was very high, leaving only a tiny strip of sand for playing in, but that didn't stop the kids from digging and building in it. It's fun to watch Haley and Jake's new-found confidence in the water after only one session of swim lessons, and I look forward to the day when Alex has some water safety skills as well. For now we're content to splash in the shallows and only drink a few mouthfuls of lake water.

Buckets and shovels and rocks, oh my!

Jake shows off his moves - boogie!

They were in a goofy mood this time.

I love these kids, and I love having them home all summer!

"Time to pack up, Mom...and get our traditional mini Blizzards on the way out of town!"