Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bismark Olympic-Distance Triathlon

I'm not sure where to begin with my thoughts about this race.  The main one is "I'M SO GLAD IT'S OVER!"  I've been training for months, spending hours each week swimming and cycling and running.  It's been a sacrifice for both me and my family to spend so much time and effort preparing for this race, and I'm looking forward to regaining a bit of balance in my life (ie: folding clothes instead of saying "look on the couch," sleeping in every once in a while, and reading a good book or two).

Way back in early winter when we decided to go for an Olympic-distance Triathlon, it seemed like a fun challenge. Looking at the distances for a sprint tri, they just didn't seem quite long enough.  As the race got nearer I started to question that decision, and if I hadn't had two friends training with me I'm pretty sure I would have scaled back to the sprint distance or dropped out completely.  Instead, I prepared for the 1000-meter swim, 40K (25 mile) bike ride, and 10K (6 mile) run.  I felt confident that I could do each leg individually, and had done many swim-bike or bike-run "brick" workouts, and even a sprint-distance practice one Saturday.  I did evening swim workouts when it was still freezing and dark out, as well as 6 a.m. swim workouts; sometimes biked to spin class, taught, and then biked another hour or so; and went for longer runs whenever I could.  I felt pretty ready for the race and was sure I could at least complete it in around 3 hours.  However, I completely ignored the advice of veteran triathletes and did not practice swimming in open water or practice swimming in my wetsuit before the race.  And that turned out to be a *really* bad idea.

Race day was beautiful and sunny, but very windy.  I was super nervous as I set up my transition area and studied the swim course.  I am very much a beginner swimmer and took adult swim lessons last Autumn to improve my breathing and strokes.  I could only swim one length of the pool without stopping when I started training this year, and am proud to now be able to swim a whole mile in the pool without stopping.  I had heard about the "open water panic" but figured I might struggle for a few minutes before finding my rhythm.  In all honesty, I completely underestimated how the conditions would affect me.  The starting buzzer sounded and I held back a few seconds before going in so that I would be near the back of the pack.  I took a few strokes, swallowed water, choked, sputtered, kept going, swallowed more water....and on and on and on.  I can't remember the last time I felt so helpless and frankly, terrified.  "Open water panic" is exactly what it was.  The water was dark and murky, fairly cold, and very choppy due to sustained 20-mph winds.  It was all I could do to not flag down a jet-ski to pull me in, and only the thought of my family watching from the shore kept me going (apparently a dozen or so swimmers pulled out due to the conditions, so thankfully I wasn't the only one struggling.)  I had to constantly remind myself to calm down, breathe, and keep moving.  It was incredibly humbling and disheartening to watch the majority of the pack get further and further away, but somehow I made it around all the buoys and back to the shore.   One event down, and I was so relieved!

The bike course was an out-and-back along a highway and I wasn't too worried about it as cycling is my strongest of the three events.  The wind was at our backs the whole way out and I made good time, going almost 30 mph at times.  But then of course we turned around and headed into the wind for 20K the other direction.  I managed to pass a few people but knew that the run would be hard after using so much effort on the bike.  As I pulled into transition for the second time I could hear my cheering section - "GO Mama, GO!" So I slipped on my running shoes and headed out.  I'm not a fast runner, and I walked the water stops and hills, but felt OK until the last mile.  By then all the sprint-distance athletes were leaving and it felt a little anti-climactic to keep going, not to mention my right knee was killing me by that point.  But since the run was a 2-loop course I passed Rob and the kids several times - Haley and Jake even ran with me for part of it.  I kicked it in for the final distance and was finally, finally done.   I cried a few tears when I crossed the finish line - in relief, in exhaustion, in gratitude for my extremely supportive husband and children.

I have to say this is the hardest race I've done yet, both mentally and physically.  I recovered pretty quickly and feel great one day later, but it might be a while before I'm brave enough to face swimming again - at least in a lake.  Although I don't like feeling defeated by anything - especially my fears - which can only lead to one thing...I might have to "Tri" again....

 All marked up for the race.

Alex and his Thomas the Train buddy.

 My transition area, all ready to go.

The amazing women I trained with - Alicia is a super swimmer, and Auralee is an incredible runner.  You know, we could probably rock as a relay team....  :)

  Starting the swim.  My head's in the water, so I must not have panicked quite yet.  :)

  
Kids watching from the shore.

 
Alex and Rob thought this Jeep was the coolest thing ever.  Glad they had something fun to look at while waiting for me all those hours!