Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Little Boy Blue

"I WANT THE BLUE CUP!!!"...At least 7 other people in the world will remember this phrase all too well. While my 5 siblings and I were growing up, we used a set of plastic Tupperware tumblers that came in assorted colors. For some reason, there was only blue one, and THAT was the one that we all wanted. Who knows why, but it sure seemed important at the time. I'm surprised mom or dad didn't throw the darn thing out when we weren't looking. (Or did you...?)

Lately Jake has taken a shine to the color blue - and that's putting it mildly. He wants to dress in head-to-toe blue, use only the blue plate, cup, and fork, and lays claim to anything in the cerulean color family. We honestly haven't pushed the blue/pink divide on our children - quite the opposite actually - but somehow they've picked up on it anyway. I'm sure he'll grow out of it someday, and when he's in his "all-black" phase as a moody teenager I'll look back on this time with great fondness...at least it complements his eyes!