Sunday, October 26, 2008

Miscellaneous Fall Fun

FUNNY BOY
Jake keeps us on our toes - I don't even know how to begin to explain him. He is crazy and funny and intense. He oozes personality. For instance, this past summer Rob's parents were here for a visit and we went bowling, which Jake loves because he loves anything involving balls. We set up the little ramp for him and he quickly caught on to pushing the ball down it. Then one time, with no prompting, he went up to take his turn, turned around, and bumped the ball down the ramp with his rear end. We were all in hysterics at this random act of Jakey-ness.

Today he and Haley were downstairs watching the "Elmocize" DVD and when I went to check on them I found him like this:


Yeah, he's going to be up late tonight!


The other night, Jake went into the bathroom to get in the tub and he was quiet for a few too many minutes. I found him like this, holding my favorite eyeliner:

I love this crazy, wacky kid!

LAST CALL

As a kid growing up in Seattle, my mom would rarely let me and my siblings play inside on a sunny day. Maybe it was the fickle weather (or maybe it was the fact that she had 6 kids!), but if it was nice out, she would shoo us out the door. This has stayed with me, and I find myself trying to take advantage of every nice day - or hour - we're having, knowing it could be the last one before freeze-up. We got the first snow of the year this morning, but it has melted now and this week looks to be a nice one. More time to ride bikes!
We've enjoyed playing at parks after school, taking walks, and going for bike rides. Jake got a new bike - his "tricycle bike" he calls it - and he can't get enough of it. We had traded in his old plastic trike for a Scuut bike, which has been great for teaching both kids to balance better, but I felt like the pedaling practice was important too. You can see in his face how proud he is when he's riding it - anything to be like his big sister!