Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's Not Winter Yet

I have been having illicit thoughts lately (No, not that kind! This is a family blog!). As I drove home from the gym one morning a few weeks ago, I thought to myself "It will be so fun when we get the first snowfall." It was out there in my thoughts before I could stop it. I've also been looking forward to the cozy feel of the furnace turning on, and the stark and silent beauty that "freeze-up" brings to our town.

Anyone who has talked to me or read this blog in the last 5 years knows that I am not a big fan of North Dakota winters. They are bitterly cold, long, windy, and did I mention cold? By contrast, autumn is usually my favorite season. I love the brisk days, the glowing golden trees, the smell of woodsmoke in the air. As summer wound down last year, I found that I couldn't enjoy autumn because of what I knew was coming next: month after month of winter. I let my pessimism and dread ruin my favorite season! So this year I am trying my best to enjoy every bit of fall that I can. We are harvesting the mini pumpkins from our garden, planting mums in the front window boxes, baking pumpkin bread and pumpkin bars and pumpkin pancakes, and savoring the fact that we can walk Haley to and from school. Sure, winter is coming, but we'll deal with that when it gets here. And who knows? If those illicit thoughts keep slipping in, some day I just might end up enjoying winter here.