Sunday, June 03, 2018

2018 | Week 22 - HEAT, The Big 4-0, & School's Out

 The end-of-school-year whirlwind continued this week, with hot temperatures adding to the summertime feel.  At some point in the distant past, I used Cherry Berry (self-serve frozen yogurt bar) as a bribe to get Alex to endure having his hair cut (the sitting! the itchy hairs! the stranger touching him!).  Our kids are all about traditions, and this is one that I'm sure they'll never let go of - "hair cuts and Cherry Berry" are forever linked. After school one day I leveraged their desire for cool treats and snuck haircuts in.
 Before eating Cherry Berry...

 ...and after.

 This week also brought my 40th birthday.  Since it fell on a Wednesday we hadn't really made any big plans and it felt a little like any other day.  However my co-workers spoiled me with lunch, pie, and gifts, and Bo had flowers and balloons waiting for me at home. 

But the BEST surprise was walking out from the back at work and seeing these faces!  Never in a million years would I have guessed that my long-distance BFF would be there with her beautiful family. They were just passing through town on their way to the airport, but we were able to visit for a few minutes and make solid plans for this fall.  Yay!  I don't think I stopped smiling the rest of the day.

We always seem to wind up at Texas Roadhouse for birthday dinners (slim pickings for family-friendly dining here) so we headed there for dinner where Haley put her Roll Saving Plan into action. She literally put a few of those soft, delicious rolls into her purse for later snacking.  The carb-loving apple doesn't fall far from the tree, folks. We're working on perfecting a copycat recipe of those rolls, but it needs a little tweaking.  

Finally, FINALLY, school is out for the summer! We held our annual last-day-of-school party at the park after the final bell on Thursday. We are all so excited to sleep in, lay by the pool, and s...l...o...w... things down for a bit.  I may be kidding myself, but that's what we're hoping for anyway.

"I 'mustache' you - Are you excited for summer?!"