Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hope

I don't think a person can truly appreciate the miracle of Spring until they have lived in a climate as harsh as ours - at least I never did. Every year I find myself astonished that anything (including us) can survive the winters here. It seems a true miracle to see grass underneath the piles of melting snow and sand - the kids and I drive around town marveling at what the thawing has revealed. I'm not sure what we were really expecting - more snow, I guess. Or maybe Hell, frozen over.

I find myself thrilling at the flush of green on the lawns, the teeniest bit of swelling on the tree limbs. It will be several more weeks until the tulips and daffodils are in bloom, and more than a month before we can plant our full garden, but winter is finally over. I guess my whole point is that winters here give me a very different perspective. 30 degrees feels "warm," watching snow melt is "exciting," and watching the earth come back to life gives me an appreciation for the miracle of nature that I never experienced before living here.

So although tired from the move, we were sure to celebrate Easter and all the new life it represents. We dyed a beautiful batch of eggs ("eggies" as Jake calls them), hunted for jelly beans and Easter baskets, and enjoyed a traditional ham and potatoes dinner, courtesy of Rob. And most of all, we gave thanks for this season and the hope it provides. Happy Spring, everyone!