Saturday, March 14, 2009

Jake Turns Three!

Yesterday Jake finally turned three - he has been waiting for months for this day. He was so very excited to have his "Cars" birthday and celebrate in style. We had a fun day opening gifts, eating cupcakes, playing with the balloons and new toys, enjoying the "warm" weather outside, and having dinner at Space Aliens. Jake is very proud to be such a "big boy" and says that he's decided to have another birthday this week.

My baby boy is barely visible in the go-go-go 3-year-old that Jake has become. He still has the adorable round cheeks and perfect little mouth that he had as an infant, and during the rare times that he's asleep or holding still, I can still see the baby in him. At 3 years old, Jake is always on the go. From morning to night, he is always ready for fun, messes, adventures, teasing, playing, running, jumping, tumbling, dancing and any kind of sport you can think of. He is so much like his dad - funny, super smart, up for anything, and charming as all get out. It's so fun - and often exhausting - to watch him learn and grow and explore everything around him.

Last week I was at the mall and must have been rather hormonal. As we walked around I started noticing all the different men passing by and kept wondering what they were like as little boys. Were they really cute at one time instead of hairy and rotund? Were they happy and curious intead of crusty and anti-social? I got very emotional thinking about how my beautiful little boy could someday turn into one of those brooding teenagers or grumpy old men. Fortunately it will be a while before that's a possibility. For now he is still my sweet boy.

We are all so happy to have Jake as a part of our family. He adds an energy and humor that I never could have imagined. He is Haley's best friend, Daddy's "buddy," and my Snugglebug. I can't wait to see all that he becomes and accomplishes in his life. Happy Birthday, Jake!