Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Bright Side

A few days ago while eating lunch with the kids, I asked them what their favorite autumn-time things were. Of course they said Halloween, pumpkins, and walks to collect leaves...then Haley piped up and said, "The snow!" Yes, snow is part of autumn time here, and now that our daily high temperatures are in the 20's and 30's, we've gotten all the cold-weather gear out. Instead of a long, whiney, darn-it's-cold-here post (see posts from this time last year), I decided to express my gratitude for the many luxuries and tools that make winter here a less-miserable experience. If you live in a similar climate, please share your tips/tools with us! If you live in a warmer climate, try to not gloat TOO much...

"Cats" - Rob and I have called them this forever because we've never had pets and they keep your lap warm, but they're actually "rice comfort bags" on the internet. Small pouches filled with rice that you heat in the microwave, they stay warm for more than an hour and are great for warming up toes or soothing a sore back. You can also add herbs or scents so they smell good (lavender is my favorite). I often heat a few up to give to the kids in the car, since they don't have...

...Heated leather seats. I am totally spoiled, I know. Our Subaru came with these and I love them! Nothing like a toasty-warm backside. And they'll be all warm and waiting for you if you also have a...

...Remote-start feature on your car. How did I ever live without this?!?! With the press of a button, you can start your car from inside the warm house, store, library, etc. It runs for up to 20 minutes, while the car remains locked and secure. Our remote is currently worn out and needs to be replaced - I've had to actually go out into the garage and start the car by hand! Poor me, I know, although while doing so I'm grateful that I have a...


...Down coat. We have a WIDE assortment of coats and jackets in our house (and a sad lack of closet space for them), but when the seriously cold weather hits, we all rely on our down jackets to keep us snug. I don't know of anything else that can compare! And since the coats don't reach all the way to our toes, we are also in love with our...


...Uggs/sheepskin-lined boots. Rob gave me a pair for Christmas 2 years ago and I couldn't believe that I'd lived in North Dakota without them for 3 years! I know the Ugg fad has passed, but you wear them here whether they're a fashion statement or not. They are uber-comfortable, incredibly warm, and Jake can put his on by himself. I pretty much wear flip-flops until it snows and then wear my Uggs until thaw in the spring (sorry, Stacey and Clinton!).

We hope you're all toasty and warm, wherever you might live!