Friday, August 22, 2008

Haley's Off to Kindergarten

Haley started kindergarten this past week, and was excited despite all her worries and uncertainties. It's interesting, the things they worry about; Haley was particularly anxious about eating lunch there, and how long of a day it would be (would there be time to play after school? Or would it be dinner and straight to bed?) We have all-day kindergarten here, which is the main reason we sent her to part-time preschool last year and I have to say that was a very good decision. Haley is slow to warm up to things and the shock would have been too much. The first few days have been hard, as we work to establish a routine and she begins to realize that yes, she has to go every day. Luckily she has a wonderfully sweet teacher and I've been impressed with the school overall as well. She loves everything about school - even eating lunch there - and hopefully we'll be completely settled into a routine soon.

I think maybe it's been harder on Jake than on Haley; when I came home from dropping her off the first day he said "Where's my Haley?!" And every day since then he asks if we can pick her up to go to the park or wherever we're going. He's not used to being the only child! I guess all-mom, all the time isn't all it's cracked up to be.

As for me, I'll admit that I had to hold back tears as I walked away from the school that first morning. Go ahead and make comments about the umbilical cord needing to be cut - I think all moms will agree with me that it can never really be cut - instead it feels like it can just stretch really, really far. Last weekend we drove by the UND campus and saw all the parents moving their kids into the dorms. I marveled that the moms weren't just bawling the whole time. Maybe their kids have driven them so crazy in recent years that it tempers the sadness, but it's hard to imagine letting go and having to let that cord stretch - possibly all the way across the country. For now, I'm glad she's only a few blocks away all day, in great and capable hands, surrounded by cute kids her own age (no frat boys), and that we get to enjoy her tired, cranky, but still-sweet self the rest of the time.