Sunday, February 17, 2008

Once Upon A Valentine's Day

THE CARD THAT STARTED IT ALL...
I know it's passed, but I couldn't skip over Valentine's Day, especially this year. It was on Valentine's Day 10 years ago that the romance between Rob and I began. Until then we had just been friends (as far as I was concerned), but he wrote a very beautiful and rather bold Valentine's Day card to me. I remember sitting down to read it in one of my psychology classes, and I couldn't quite believe what I was reading. Here we are ten years later, and I've been grateful every day since that he took that chance. I'll type what he wrote below; seriously, who couldn't fall for that?!

Valentine's Day, 1998:

It's a rare thing to meet someone you could love, rarer still that they could love you. So often, afraid of failing, we fail to try, and in so doing, seal upon ourselves the very thing we feared. I don't want to frighten you away with my words, for if friendship is all you can offer, I gladly accept. Still, on St. Valentine's day the heart gains license to hope, and today I find mine hoping for you. -Robert

This year we actually got to go out on a date, thanks to a generous offer from our friends Jen and Marc, who babysat. The kids adore them and I only worried a teeny bit about how Jake would do. In truth, I don't think he even noticed we were gone.

Before we went out, we had a pink and red dinner - with a heart-shaped Papa Murphy's pizza of course - and exchanged gifts. Rob completely surprised me by having the setting fixed on my engagement ring, which I hadn't been able to wear for 6 months because the stone had fallen out. Such a romantic!

Haley and I made cupcakes for her preschool class - her first school Valentine exchange!