Monday, January 23, 2006

Construction continues

The past few weeks have seen our basement go from storage area to construction zone. Rob is making impressive progress, with the framing and electrical almost finished, and we hope to have the electrical inspector sign us off this week. We'll then be cleared to install insulation (lots of it!) and put up sheetrock. We know you've been dying to hear our step-by-step progress!

Above: Our new window makes a big difference. Before this was just a cinderblock wall.

Use of the word "we" above really refers only to Rob. He's down there every spare moment of his evenings and weekends, and I've only gone down to help once (but many other times to give opinions...). Last Saturday we all spent the afternoon down there - Rob and I stringing wire and Haley practicing gymnastics. She has a bar to hang on and a balance beam made from 2x4's. Between that and her baby dolls she can self-entertain for hours!

Haley's decided she's really not fond of many of the power tools, especially the air compressor which she calls the "pa-chunker". It turns on randomly to, well, fill with air I guess. We were down there one time and she was playing by it while Rob and I talked in the other room when it turned on. She ran to me and leaped into my arms, literally whimpering and shaking. Now she won't go down the stairs without yelling, "is the pa-chunker off?" Every loud noise is now a Pa-chunka - if she bumps or drops something in the other room and I say, "What was that?" she'll yell back, "Nothing! Just a Pa-chunka!" I suppose we could tell her what it's really called, but that would spoil the cuteness.

Stay tuned for more updates on Hotel Wood...



















This is what I've been busy with the past 2 weeks - I completed my 2nd cake-decorating course, and we have a lot of Royal Icing flowers around the house to prove it. This was our final project - the birds are a little cheesy, but I made all the flowers myself!